Sender:
From:
Lars Hellström <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 8 Dec 1999 17:10:54 +0100
Hans Aberg wrote:
>With much of the development of computer languages, there is the idea that
>the user should be forced to program in certain ways.
>
>TeX does not have such a mechanism that could put restraints of usage in
>say LaTeX. It would be great if TeX had such a capacity, but there is no
>point in taking up that aspect with TeX as it now is.

At the risk of sounding like I would want to expel you Hans, I would like
to say that it seems to me that your energy would be better spent on
writing an alternative TeX front end within the framework of the NTS
project. :-) Not only is the creation of a completely new front end the
natural framework for introducing such ideas as lambda calculus and
probably also a more throrough implementation of namespaces, but it is also
the case that the modularity that the NTS project strive to achieve is most
likely helped if there are complete alternatives to each module.
Considering your predilection for OOP, it seems to me that you should find
the NTS project nice; as I understand it, they do OOP throughout.

Lars Hellström