Sender:
From:
Hans Aberg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 5 Jan 2001 21:03:14 +0100
At 16:01 -0500 0-12-31, William F. Hammond wrote:
>I've placed what I hope will be the last pre-release tarball at
>http://www.albany.edu/~hammond/gellmu/tarball.html.
>I would also like to see somebody translate it to TEI and then compare
>the HTML and LaTeX formattings obtained chez Rahtz from TEI with the
>native GELLMU formattings.

If you are in the need of various translations, have you tried using Flex
(lexical analyzer generator) and Bison (parser generator, or
compiler-compiler), see
  ftp://ftp.digital.com/pub/GNU/non-gnu/flex/flex-2.5.4a.tar.gz
  ftp://alpha.gnu.org/gnu/cvs/
-- I use them together with C++, which is convenient as the latter has
standard string classes.

One approach is to parse objects into something like the DOM (Document
Object Model, http://www.w3.org/), and then onto that hook a program that
can translate into several different formats.

I have used a similar approach, not with respect to document formats, but
for writing an object-oriented language that currently outputs C++ code.
But I do not output a language text but a series of C++ iterated lookup
tables, which via a special formatting file with suitable macro
definitions, and a "formatter" program which knows how to pick together to
produce C++ files as output.

The approach dramatically simplifies the Bison action rules.

  Hans Aberg