Sender:
From:
"William F. Hammond" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 8 Jan 2001 10:16:59 -0500
Sebastian Rahtz writes:

> William F. Hammond writes:
>  > Actually, I am more interested in getting a copy for Info trees than
>  > in a TEI copy.  (And there is now an SGML version of Texinfo thanks to
>  > Daniele Giacomini that formats to Texinfo.)  I guess I thought that
>  > TEI fans might bite.
>
> TEI fans just write TEI, I suspect....

Any DocBook fans?  (A formatter from DocBook to Texinfo was begun by
Dan Burton.)

>  > The power of sgmlspl (though not the speed) can match that of any
>  > method except possibly when one wants to descend into CDATA segments.
>
> er, nonsense. sgmlspl provides no full access to the document tree, as
> DOM or XPATH do. you have to code it yourself, which is a bore.

Well, overstated.  After all, XML really wasn't "out" at the time
Megginson's SGMLS.pm was last revised (Dec. 1995).  Since it reads the
SP ESIS and by conscious design does not build the whole document
tree as a structure, there are some chores^{1}.  But there are
also tradeoffs.  The power of Perl is a very good thing.  It can be
used to write very good LaTeX.  (Whether the LaTeX that I'm writing
with it is good enough for somebody else's standard is another
question.)

                                    -- Bill

Notes:

1.  Actually, some of the chores can be avoided by following strategies
that are not immediately apparent.