Sender:
From:
David Carlisle <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 8 Feb 2001 12:54:45 GMT
> Yes mltex is quite appropriate

I wasn't criticising, just checking that I understood you correctly.

> for a default format for French as well
> as for all european languages and produced glyphs a far better...
"better" than what? Couldn't one produce a VF file that produced
identical results to mltex's positioning of the accents?

> i don't speak about any virtual font which use T1 encoding, obviously.

Yes I realise that you were not using VF fonts, but isn't it the case
that the compounds that can be made from the cm fonts using mltex
commands are essentially the same as those that are available in VF.
Both are just different ways of using snippets of dvi to combing the
base character and the accent, and make the whole thing a single
character as far as TeXs hyphenation tables are concerned.

I don't think that you'll get universal agreement about

>  Since Web2c is a standard, the --mltex option is standard too.

while it's reasonable to ask all TeX implementors to implement Knuth
specified features like VF support (I could mention some guilty parties
at this point:-) I don't think it reasonable to suggest that they
"should" implement features just because they happen to be implemented
in web2c even if that is by far the most commonly used tex.

By choosing to use access 8bit characters just assuming 8bit tfms
rather than using mltex primitives latex is far more portable across
a range of tex implementations. Even implementations that support
neither VF nor mltex still work so long as they provide the fonts
in T1 encoding by some method or other.

David

http://www.star.net.uk/stats.asp