Sender:
From:
Frank Mittelbach <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 8 Apr 2001 22:20:03 +0200
Lars,

 > I just noticed that the std template of type justification in the xhj
 > package globally sets the paragraph justification; at least its settings
 > aren't contained in an environment. How should one then go about with
 > implementing an environment that simply changes the justification for the
 > paragraphs inside it? To me this seems like a task which should be simple;
 > it shouldn't require using the galley2 interfaces.

what's wrong with the idea of using something like the galley inferface
throughout (beside the fact that it isn't good enough yet (even as a prototype
implementation))?

but i think that if you want extended control like offered by the galley
interface you can't simply turn it on and off but have to stay within its
model.

but perhaps you are right and the whole thing needs further thought.

throughout last week i worked on a frontmatter template interface for handling
complex author/address relations etc. and for that I also needed to interface
to paragraph justification. Since the galley interface isn't yet good to be
usable in arbitrary circumstances I ended up implementnig a very primitive
version of the xhj templates that can work on their own (just to get that
frontmatter stuff working)

as side issue: is the xhj template at the right level of detail anyhow?

in a number of classes i wrote in the past i used the following definition to
get myself something like a paragraph justification/setup interface where i
could define named instances:

\newcommand*\DeclareParagraphLayout[9]{
 \@namedef{#1Para}{
  \fontsize{#2}{#3}\selectfont
  \setlength\parindent  {#4}
  \setlength\leftskip   {#5}
  \setlength\rightskip  {#6}
  \@rightskip\rightskip
  \setlength\parfillskip{#7}
  \setlength\parskip    {#8}
  }
}

this was then used like this:

\DeclareParagraphLayout{XFMaddress}
  {10pt}{11pt}
  {0pt}{\bodytextparindent plus 1fil}
       {\bodytextparindent plus 1fil}{0pt}
  {0pt}
  {\SetInternalRegister\hyphenpenalty{2000}
   \SetInternalRegister\finalhyphendemerits{20000}
   \itshape
  }

in other words, like the justification template plus some
fontsize/baselineskip info, plus some extra stuff if needed.

my experience was that those things nearly always needed specification
anyhow, so why not combine them?

any thoughts?