Sender:
From:
Maarten Gelderman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 20 Oct 1997 13:40:14 MET
On Monday, October 20, 1997 at 10:05:13 am MET,
"Philip Taylor (RHBNC)" <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>>> In the current scheme, there are four name parts, with three allowed
>>> input syntaxes:
>>>
>>>      first von last
>>>      von last, first
>>>      von last, jr, first
>
>The input syntax may not be a reliable indicator for my quesstion, but
>in typesetting "The Principles of Nutritional Assessment" (Rosalind S
>Gibson, OUP, 1990: 0-19-5-5838-0) we were instructed to typeset
>
>        J C van der Auwera
>
>                as
>
>        Auwera JC van der
>
>Is this requirement met by the current scheme?

The `van' problem can never be countered by a computer program,
unless you specify the language with each author name. Americans
generally treat the van part as a part of their last name. In dutch
van etc are not used to put items in alphabetical order. (J.C. van der Auwera
literally means JC of the Auwera). Furthermore there are some problems with
capitalization. Belgiums always capitalize the first of the
in-between-words. In Dutch the rules are more complicated. If the first name
or the initial of someone is present, you write Jan van der Meulen or J. van
der Meulen or J. v.d. Meulen or J. v/d Meulen (all versions are right, they
do not depend on the name of the person involved). If the first name is not
present you write: Van der Meulen.

Maarten

Maarten Gelderman                            email:  [log in to unmask]
Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam                 phone:  +31 20 444 6073
De Boelelaan 1105 room 3a-36                 fax     +31 20 444 6005
NL-1081 HV  AMSTERDAM
The Netherlands