Sender:
From:
Chris Rowley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 3 Dec 1998 19:42:33 +0100
Robin Fairbairns wrote --

> care to offer a title, so i can go and browse in the cup shop?  (or is
> it out of print?)

DJH Garling  ---  A course in Galois Theory.

It may be, but ben does have friemds in the rioght places.

> > > It should be said that Hardy & Wright is an exception for its period.

Never got on with it myself in them far off days (nor with Wittaker
and Watson) ... now there is a formidable foursome to stand up to S's
blandishments.

> i wonder what proportion of the active members of this list are either
> active (such as chris and tim) or ex- (such as me) mathematicians.
> apart from sebastian, i can't think of many...

Quite a lot, I think (if one interprets mathematician and ex- widely
enough:-) and even more are interested in high-qaulity
techinical typesetting.

chris