Sender:
From:
Lars Hellström <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 6 Mar 2000 19:43:29 +0100
At 21.35 +0100 2000-03-05, Reinhard Kotucha wrote:
>Hi,
>unfortunately Frank told us in his last mail that he vanishes for a
>few days to work on output routines.

I wonder when he will appear again? It's been a month. OTOH, output
routines are tricky things, so it is hardly surprising that it takes time.

[snip]
>I think that it is a good idea if the LaTeX kernel would provide a
>hook (probably called "\AtBeginPage".  I don't think that style
>programmers should patch the output routine.

Sounds like a good idea to me. Of course, it probably can't be added to the
2e kernel as such, because of the moratorium on adding hooks, but there
shouldn't be a problem to have a package in base/ or tools/ (or with 2e*,
wherever that will be placed) that adds the functionality. The tracefnt
package already shares source with the kernel, like one would want to have
it in this case.

Some recent experiencies of mine with a document class from World
Scientific (which uses this kind of thing to indicate the area of the paper
that is actually used in printing, as opposed to the paper used for the
drafts) have demonstrated that such patches of the output routine have a
tendency to age when noone bothers to update them.

Lars Hellström

PS: When I wrote about tracefnt anyway, I might as well mension this thing
too. Could it be possible to have the option reinserted that temporarily
resetted the \tracing... parameters during \selectfont? Appearently this
feature was bundled with something else that probably doesn't work anymore,
but I can't see any reason (apart from lack of time) why it shouldn't be
possible to reinsert just this particular feature. I'm so tired of wading
through screenful after screenful of font selection every time I need to
trace a piece of code that, apart from the things I'm really interested in,
also does a couple of font changes.