Sender:
From:
Reinhard Kotucha <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 6 Mar 2000 22:47:47 +0100

    > At 21.35 +0100 2000-03-05, Reinhard Kotucha wrote:
    >> Hi, unfortunately Frank told us in his last mail that he
    >> vanishes for a few days to work on output routines.

    > I wonder when he will appear again? It's been a month. OTOH,
He will be at the dante2000 in Clausthal this week.  Hope to meet him
there.
    > output routines are tricky things, so it is hardly surprising
    > that it takes time.

    > [snip]
    >> I think that it is a good idea if the LaTeX kernel would
    >> provide a hook (probably called "\AtBeginPage".  I don't think
    >> that style programmers should patch the output routine.

    > Sounds like a good idea to me. Of course, it probably can't be
    > added to the 2e kernel as such, because of the moratorium on
    > adding hooks, but there shouldn't be a problem to have a package
    > in base/ or tools/ (or with 2e*, wherever that will be placed)
    > that adds the functionality. The tracefnt package already shares
    > source with the kernel, like one would want to have it in this
    > case.

I suppose that 2e* comes soon and we shouldn't discuss how to get this
into 2e.  I do not want to have the code in a package.  This would
result in a patch.  A hook wouldn't blow the kernel up, the begin
document hook is only a few lines of code.

Maybe we have to think about the order the macros are attached to the
hook. If the hook is used by a class and a package, the class would
put the first element to the list and the package the second.  The
order is important since that is the order the stuff is printed. Maybe
the templates can help to control the behavior.

Reinhard

Reinhard Kotucha                                       Phone: +49-511-751355
Berggartenstr. 9
D-30419 Hannover                      mailto:[log in to unmask]