Sender:
From:
Hans Aberg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 16 Feb 2001 00:34:47 +0100
At 15:53 -0600 2001/02/15, Randolph J. Herber wrote:
>|-- Under UNIX, MacOS, or MSOS, binary files are not translated at all, so
>|if one does not make the right newline convention or translate the files
>|first by some other means, it will not work.
>
>        It would if it were done along the lines I described previously
>        in this thread.  It works for Adobe PostScript and in Sun Java;
>        that is enough examples to convince me that it can be done.

Yes, and this is also my point.

>        do remember enough of the VMS work to realize that it would only
>        be a page or so of code in VMS.  In UNIX, it would be a few lines.
>        I do not know enough about MacOS to offer a guess.

The easiest way to implement it is to change the library functions that
read files. In C, one can do it either by a macro in the program source
code that changes the name of this file reading function to something else,
and the re-program it. Or one can simply add a file with the new version --
modern compilers usually let new versions in source code override library
functions.

This would work under UNIX/MacOS/MSOS with just a few lines.

>        A brief summary of the method: read the files adding line
>        terminators to record format files, if the operating system
>        supports such, and recognize all three line terminator
>        sequences and standardize them to one format.

Under VMS, I understand it is more complicated, if th efile does not
already have line terminators.

  Hans Aberg