Sender:
From:
Timothy Murphy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 17 Jul 2002 02:24:16 +0100
On Tue, Jul 16, 2002 at 01:51:05PM -0700, Walter Landry wrote:
> > Could I distribute a modified version of Linux without Torvald's permission?
> > I hope not.

> Absolutely.  Debian distributes modified kernels, and I know that we
> didn't ask for permission from Linus or the thousands of other
> copyright holders.  In fact, some of the modifications were made
> against the express wish of some of the copyright holders.

That seems to me a very good reason for not using Debian kernels.
In any case, does it matter what "modified kernels" Debian distributes?
Surely anyone with a serious interest in Linux
will get the latest kernel from www.kernel.org and compile that.

I do much the same with LaTeX.
When I get a new Linux distribution,
I look at the TeX system,
and if it seems odd in any way
I get the official teTeX sources from one of the CTANs
and compile those.

Life is too short to waste time
on "personal versions" of software.
We went through that with LaTeX-2.09,
of which there were a dozen different versions
(probably one of them was Debian's)
which just caused a lot of pain.

Incidentally, I am not "the LaTeX community".
I am just a LaTeX user.

--
Timothy Murphy
e-mail: [log in to unmask]