Sender:
Date:
Tue, 21 Jan 2003 14:10:54 +0000
From:
Timothy Murphy <[log in to unmask]>
On Tuesday 21 January 2003 10:54, Frank wrote:

> if that is used in text then LaTex knows how to deal with any of them, if
> it is used in math then the question is to give it a sensible meaning

I shouldn't really contribute to a discussion
in which I am completely out of my depth --
but unless I have totally misunderstood
you want to make it easy to use unicode "characters" within math.

But shouldn't it be reasonably difficult to use unusual symbols within math?
There seems to me nothing wrong with requiring a special definition
of math symbols.

I didn't really understand the mention of cyrillic in this context --
are these russian letters to be used with mathematical meanings?
As far as I know, even Russian mathematicians don't use cyrillic
in their maths (though I could be wrong about that).

I remember in my youth reading a book by Claude Chevalley
(on Class Field Theory) in which he used Chinese or Japanese characters
for certain central symbols.
It looked very pretty, but I wouldn't like it to become commonplace.

Apologies for this intrusion --
a one-line explanation of my misunderstanding would suffice.

--
Timothy Murphy
e-mail: [log in to unmask]