Date:
Thu, 27 Aug 2009 20:21:38 +0100
From:
"J.Fine" <[log in to unmask]>
Sender:
Hello Robin

Thanks for spotting the typo with Nicola Talbot.  Now fixed in TeX source (but not PDF yet).

No, it's not LaTeX's fault that 'fi' ligature becomes page break.  It's because TeX is only 8-bit, and predates Unicode.

I don't see what you mean by saying that
===
\begin{frame}
\frametitle{Achievements of \LaTeX{} (the first fifteen years)}

\begin{itemize}
\item Provides styles (aka classes) for standard documents
\item Open: Allows programmers to add their own style files
\item Provides reasonably uniform document syntax
\item Lamport's \LaTeX{} book provides gentle introduction
\item Attracted energies of many talented developers
\item Used and respected by many academics
\item Adopted as submission format by many publishers
\item \LaTeX2e an important clean-up and revision of \LaTeX209
\end{itemize}
\end{frame}

\begin{frame}
===
is faint praise.   Please suggest changes, if you think I'm being unfair.

LaTeX, ConTeXt and MathTran would all benefit from online documentation.  O hope we can set up something we can share.

Apologies for not quoting properly - I'm using web access.

Jonathan