Sender:
Date:
Tue, 1 Sep 2009 08:25:10 +0100
From:
Joseph Wright <[log in to unmask]>
Will Robertson wrote:
> On 01/09/2009, at 5:39 AM, Joseph Wright wrote:
>
>> I'd noticed that too: Will is in charge of l3doc! (Seriously, I think
>> l3doc needs a good overhaul but Will did take charge of that part of
>> expl3, so for the moment I'm leaving well alone. He has lots of plans, I
>> think.)
>
> Ha :)
> Some things all in my head, but I don't know whether to start with
> something like xdoc2 or gmdoc as a starting point.
>
> I just put into expl3 whatever made it easier for writing the test suite
> and improving (piece-wise) the documentation. Indexing is a part that I
> didn't spend too much time on -- partially because I rarely use them
> myself!
>
> I'm not saying that I'm abandoning l3doc in its current state or
> anything at all like that, but if you do feel the urge to tinker around
> then by all means go in there and tear it apart.
>
> Which is another way of saying that if you don't see me making changes
> in there, then I'm not working on it and the whole thing is fair game;
> don't stay away just in case you feel you're stepping on my toes --
> you're not.

Hello Will,

I imagine that l3doc is going to be a "work in progress" for some time
to come. It seems to me that, as bits of LaTeX3 get written, l3doc is
likely to be the first place they get used as it is the one document
class that really can depend on the state of LaTeX3 at any given moment!

I'd imagine that the code needs a careful overhaul at some stage, as
things are very much a mish-mash at the the moment. However, that
depends on what we want, as you say. For example, the gmdoc approach of
not needing \begin{macrocode} ... \end{macrocode} is interesting: I
wonder if it makes it easier for new users to write documented files?

I might give this some thought and see what happens, but that depends on
what I do with other ongoing things!