Sender:
Date:
Mon, 29 Aug 2011 20:25:29 +0100
From:
Joseph Wright <[log in to unmask]>
On 29/08/2011 17:25, Arno Trautmann wrote:
> And, maybe even more important, at least for
> me personally, a kind-of-a-roadmap where the development is going. That
> may be in three parts, short-term, middle-term and long-term. Maybe it
> is my personal fault, but I have no idea of where L3 is supposed to go,
> in which steps, etc. If it is the policy of the team to keep this
> non-public, it is sad, but ok. If not, it should be made more public –
> that doesn't have to be much text, nor must it be too concrete or
> ultimate decisions. The L3 news are a good step in that direction, but
> they mostly “only” report on what has happened.

Roadmap-wise, things are rather diffuse. I guess that my (personal) view
is something like

Short-term
----------

 1) Potential re-implementation of l3fp in an expandable form. Bruno
    is looking at this (see l3trial on the SVN/GitHub for details).

 2) Create some basic driver code such that l3coffins works in format
    mode (using a 'hacked up' output routine).

 3) Look again at box affine operations, again to support coffins
    beyond LaTeX2e.

 4) Take a look back over the 'niggles' list (the issues on GitHub),
    and try to deal with some of them.

Medium-term
-----------

 5) Get some form of decisions made on the galley: does it work,
    are we going the right way, etc.

 6) Sort out issue of expandable versus protected definitions of
    document commands (in xparse).

 7) Font selection (mainly a port of NFSS) and loading mechanism
    (fontspec-based plus something for pdfTeX).

Long-term
---------

 10) Output routine: get xor 'up to scratch'.

Some of these are ongoing: for example, work on the galley has actually
ongoing. To some extent, the divisions here depend on how significant
the stuff is, as well as the likely time-frame.

Once we get (5), (7) and (10) done, we'll be in a position to build a
format which can typeset something. My view there is that this will
start *really* basic, and probably also somewhat 'flexible', and that
we'll then add 'stuff' as testing takes place.