Sender:
Date:
Tue, 24 Mar 2015 22:15:21 +0000
From:
Joseph Wright <[log in to unmask]>
On 24/03/2015 21:35, Karl Berry wrote:
> Joseph and all,
>
>     https://www.dropbox.com/sh/mh8c67bxidryr8h/AAAu4_Ez66syXyKwL3J83nn_a?dl=0
>
> I finally had a chance to look at all this work.  Very nice.  I didn't
> do a test install of it, but I don't expect any serious problems that
> way.  It would be helpful for that purpose if the .tds.zip files were
> available as their own downloads, but anything can be made to work for
> testing.

I'll do that tomorrow (too late today to do the build).

> The only question that I have for now is whether ltunicode plus your
> other changes are intended to exactly replace everything that was in
> unicode-letters?  That is, was there anything known in unicode-letters
> that is not now provided in the new LaTeX2e?  I know you have the
> new .ini files without unicode-letters, but I thought I'd ask explicitly
> anyway.

Yes, ltunicode is a direct replacement for unicode-letters. Everything
the latter does is covered by ltunicode.

> TL will still need unicode-letters for the plain lua+xe formats.

Yes. (We could happily make ltunicode loadable by plain, but that might
not be that helpful.)

> Therefore it would be good to be in sync :).  I gather you generated your
> files from what is now at http://www.unicode.org/Public/UNIDATA.

Yes, latest (7.0.0) Unicode data release.

> To help in this, I wonder if we both might include somewhere the exact
> file sizes, or something, of the three data files used in the generation
> (UnicodeData.txt EastAsianWidth.txt LineBreak.txt).  E.g., just in the
> comments in ltunicode.dtx.  That is the simplest "version" number I can
> think of.  I'll change the unicode-letters.tex stuff in this regard, at
> least.

Both EastAsianWidth.txt and LineBreak.txt have a version which we've
talked about copying in to the processed file. Regrettably, there is no
version in UnicodeData.txt: perhaps file size is the best plan, as you
say. I will look at this.

> Thanks for all this work.  I both fear and look forward to trying it
> for real :).

Fingers-crossed!