Sender: Mailing list for the LaTeX3 project <[log in to unmask]>
From: Apostolos Syropoulos <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2001 00:35:02 +0200
On Sun, 11 Feb 2001, Frank Mittelbach wrote:

> Apostolos,
>
>  > Unicode M$Word.) Omega clearly solves this problem the "expected" way.
>  > And yes there more "exotic" cases where TeX can't be of any help at all.
>
> i don't deny you that, and yet Omega hasn't taken over the world. what i'm
> trying to convey is that there are a lot of factors that you have to take into
> account to make something successful; one of it is that you have to package
> your product in the right way.

That's true!!! The Omega people have to do many things. For example Omega
needs something like an OmegaBook in order to let others get involved
and produce packages, etc.

> so yes, i'm very much interested in getting structures right that can be
> deployed successfully on Omega, say, to solve problems like you have with your
> language and others have with other languages, but that in itself doesn't make
> others switch to use an Omega based format which doesn't run on their site
> environment or for which they need to work to make it run.

If people start working with Omega, then eventually I believe people will
switch to it. However, I believe that Omega must be further developed:
it must be able to work with OpenType fonts and be able to produce PDF
output. This way we will get a "universal" system and there will
substitute pdfTeX, e-TeX, etc. Of course this means that many people
have to work hard, but that something many people are afraid of:-)
A.S.

*Apostolos Syropoulos                                          *
*snail mail: 366, 28th October Str., GR-671 00  Xanthi, HELLAS *
*email     : [log in to unmask]                        *
*phone num.: +30-(0)541-28704                                  *
*home page : http://obelix.ee.duth.gr/~apostolo                *