Sender: Mailing list for the LaTeX3 project <[log in to unmask]>
From: Peter Breitenlohner <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Fri, 24 Jan 2003 16:30:38 +0100
On Fri, 24 Jan 2003, David Kastrup wrote:

>         Timothy Murphy <[log in to unmask]> writes:
>
> > On Friday 24 January 2003 00:28, David Kastrup wrote:
> >
> > > If you take a look at printed mathematics in journals, you'll find
> > > things like display equations spanning two of three columns.
> >
> > I have just taken a look at some mathematical journals,
> > and none of them seemed to do anything like that.
> > .....       Which journal are you referring to?
>
> I have seen stuff like that (IIRC some awfully expensive Elsevier
> journal or similar) but don't have the library at hand right now.

One important such (physics) journal with display equations spanning two of
three columns is Phys.Rev. (published by APS). Moreover they sometimes
change the number of columns at such a display; all that is achieved by
their 'revtex' documentclass (standard LaTeX).

As for the virtue of such things: I personally find then hard to read.

Peter Breitenlohner <[log in to unmask]>