From:
Sebastian Rahtz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 29 Sep 2000 00:27:15 +0100
Robin Fairbairns writes:
 > such a change would be difficult.  now that heiko oberdiek is fully in
 > charge (sebastian rahtz was nominally still the maintainer back then),

cruel. that implies that my level of activity on hyperref was
comparable to that of my activity on PSNFSS :-}

 > optimal.  we couldn't simply, as a project, take over maintenance of a
 > package of such a magnitude as hyperref; so we need to find a
 > maintainer before bringing it into the ambit the project.

I think its more fundamental than that, as discussed as far back as
1993 - hyperref does not fit into the model of LaTeX properly, and
rides roigh-shod over LaTeX innards when it feels like it. To add it
to "required" would imply that the kernel team felt that it reliably
collaborated with kernel packages, which would simply be untrue.

To do it right, bits of LaTeX need a rewrite, taking into account the
needs of hyperref. This is what Context has done, of course,
integrating the stuff into the kernel.

Also, hyperref should be split into two

 a) the package which provides hypertext functionality, acting as a
    wrapper around driver \specials, and pdftex primitives

 b) the package which overrides standard LaTeX commands to add new
    functionality to them, and interfaces with assorted packages

I am fairly sure Heiko would agree with me on this

Sebastian