From:
Karl Berry <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 27 Feb 2015 21:51:46 GMT
    We hope this should mean that TeX system providers can use the
    team's code and documentation directly for their releases.

Glad to hear of these changes.  I will plan to do so.

    Before making a general release of the code to CTAN we are keen that
    there is time for proper testing without any risk to 'production'

I will at least look at the archive and especially the .ini files now,
for sure.  I appreciate the early heads-up.

In terms of distribution, my idea would be that we incorporate this new
latex into TL after the TL'14 freeze -- I'm currently thinking that will
be around April 10 (tug.org/texlive has my theoretical schedule).  New
binaries will start being committed around then also.  This will provide
maximum testing time by TL pretesters before the general release.

I'd also say you could even upload this version to CTAN at any time
(plus ctan-ann announcement), and I will simply refrain from updating
TL.  Then people who are really anxious can get it from CTAN and provide
feedback.  The task of installing it should weed out anyone who isn't
capable of understanding what they are doing :).

Finally, we could/should also advertise the heck out of it.  E.g.,
perhaps your post could be turned into an item for TUGboat, or maybe
it's just a latex2e news installment.  Whatever.  Then we can print it
in the upcoming TUGboat, which should reach members right around the
time we are freezing TL and deploying the new stuff.

Thanks,
Karl