From:
"William F. Adams" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 5 Dec 2003 16:58:34 -0500
Did anyone ever volunteer for this?

I've been working my way through some things at work and for TUGboat
and've had some thoughts along these lines, which I've just posted to
comp.text.tex---assuming my reasoning is decently good, and no one else
has volunteered, I'd like to look into this once I've finished up two
things for TUGboat.

Here's the post to CTT:

Here's a question I've tried to pose elsewhere and will shamelessly
insert here:

Will matters like this be addressed / ameliorated / solved by Latex3?
(See Frank Mittelbach's post that now that the new edition of the Latex
Companion is done he'll have time to work on Latex3 again).

For my part, I'd really like to see a more granular approach to
documentclasses and packages so that it would be easier to integrate
different bits reliably.

say something like:

%\language[American]{English}
\languages{English, Chinese, Finish, Spanish}

\typespecification[headings]{Univers-condensed}
\typespecification[captions]{Univers}
\typespecification[text, 10]{TimesTen}
\typespecification[math]{Euler}
\typespecification[monospace]{Courier}

\pagelayout[cropmarks, sheet-information, picas, 36 x 54,
golden]{classics}

\documentclass[final]{memoir}

\outputformat[colour, links]{pdf}

\shorthandmacros{physics}
\shorthandmacros{AMS}

\authormacros{kaplan}

\begin{document}
\frontmatter
\chapterstyle[centered]{brooks-cole}

\textblock
\chapterstyle[ruled]{brooks-cole}

\backmatter
\chapterstyle[small]{brooks-cole}

\end{document}

Maybe I'm a wuss---but I find umpteen dozen iterations of \usepackage
confusing....

A while back there was a request on the latex3 list to have a
prototypical style design template written up---anyone stepped up to
try that? (I've only got two things to do and then I can try ;)

William