From:
Christopher Rowley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 28 Oct 2014 18:37:08 +0700
Hi Bruce (and Morten as, I think, the prime suspect re math style)

This is not an answer but I think I see what has happened.

amsmath has an internal command \@genfac and this is what has been used, in some sense, as the basis for the user-command in mathstyle.

I refrain from comment of whether this change was a Good Thing (™).
It could be that the required contents of the 'style' parameter are not compatible so more work may be needed than a change of parameter ordering.

Chris

From amsmath.pdf:

\@genfrac takes the preceding arguments and reads the numerator and de- nominator. Note that there’s no convenient way to make the numerator and denominator contents displaystyle, through this interface.
Args: #1 mathstyle, #2 fraction primitive, #3 delimiters and rule thickness, #4 numerator, #5 denominator.

Sent from my iPud (\~/)