From:
Joseph Wright <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 11 Mar 2015 20:54:41 +0000
On 27/02/2015 14:48, Joseph Wright wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> The team have been working for the last few months on various updates
> for LaTeX2e. These are in some ways significant changes and are aimed at
> helping to ensure that LaTeX as seen by end users is properly supported
> by the team.
>
> Before making a general release of the code to CTAN we are keen that
> there is time for proper testing without any risk to 'production'
> documents. As noted below, there are also areas that may have a knock-on
> effect for other people and which therefore may need
> discussion/co-ordination. To enable this to take place, we have placed
> the current code in 'CTAN upload' format on DropBox:
> https://www.dropbox.com/sh/mh8c67bxidryr8h/AAAu4_Ez66syXyKwL3J83nn_a?dl=0.
>
> There are a number of changes in the development version of LaTeX2e
> compared with the current release. The following summarises the
> important points.
>
> *Controlling (kernel) changes*
>
> The "fixltx2e" mechanism has been used for a number of years to allow
> changes to the kernel which alter behaviours. However, the use of
> fixltx2e is patchy at best and interactions with third-party packages
> can be difficult to test as a result. We have therefore moved to a new
> approach to this area. The fixes previously covered by fixltx2e are now
> built in to the kernel, with a mechanism provided by the new package
> "latexrelease" to back them out. This new package is also designed such
> that it can be used by third parties and so should enable a route toward
> having a single date for all code used by a LaTeX document.
>
> *e-TeX*
>
> For several years the team have specified that e-TeX is expected for
> using LaTeX but have not provided any way to use the extended registers
> that it makes available. In this release, the allocation routine is
> reworked such that if e-TeX is available the full range of registers is
> used 'out of the box'. In addition, an allocator for \marks (\newmarks)
> is set up.
>
> The availability of the e-TeX registers also provides an opportunity to
> make more floats available in LaTeX. A new command \extrafloats is
> provided to do this. Note that no additional inserts are required for
> this process.
>
> *Unicode engines*
>
> Over recent years the use of XeTeX and LuaTeX has required .ini files
> which 'fix' various LaTeX2e kernel behaviours to allow successful format
> building with these Unicode engines. In the upcoming release the team
> have sought to incorporate these changes into the kernel itself such
> that the .ini files need only cover code which is truly 'local' to a TeX
> distribution. (We have included suggested .ini files for a TeX Live-like
> set up in the DropBox folder.)
>
> The upcoming release is 'aware' of XeTeX/LuaTeX and make appropriate
> adjustments. Most notably, the kernel now assumes T1 codes *only* for
> [...]

Following feedback to date a few adjustments have been made both to the
kernel code and to some third-party packages.  I've updated the DropBox
testing code
(https://www.dropbox.com/sh/mh8c67bxidryr8h/AAAu4_Ez66syXyKwL3J83nn_a?dl=0).
This update should address concerns raised thus far with amsthm and etex