Ulrike Fischer <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 8 Jan 2015 15:07:43 +0100
Am Thu, 8 Jan 2015 13:50:55 +0000 schrieb David Carlisle:

> I think the relevant part of the doc is
>
> %   Particularly, a number of broken or ugly design sizes are no
> %   longer used, the look of the bold sans serif typeface at large
> %   sizes is considerably improved, and mismatches between the text
> %   fonts and the corresponding math fonts are avoided.  As a side
> %   effect, PostScript and PDF documents may become smaller, because
> %   fewer fonts need to be embedded.
>
> So while like any design choice it could be questioned, I think the
> fact that it does not use all the provided design-size fonts is
> certainly deliberate.

Yes I hadn't read this paragraph really carefully but I agree that
the choice is deliberate (and imho not really wrong, the larger
sizes looks a bit thin). But I came across the problem due to a
question were someone wanted the "normal" latex fonts and not the
one from fix-cm in the headings.

Couldn't an option for fix-cm, e.g. [allopticalsizes] be a solution?

--
Ulrike Fischer
http://www.troubleshooting-tex.de/