From:
David Carlisle <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 12 Feb 2001 12:09:43 GMT
> That's the reason Omega OTPs exist.
Yes but I meant possibilities while working over standard TeX.
(except for case 3, which was not to use TeX)

> BTW, it seems that I have turned into a fan of Omega, without any big
> experince with it, I've only played.

But that is part of the problem. Omega is a big win if you are
typesetting languages that need it. But that isn't the the only
consideration if considering moving LaTeX as a system.

LaTeX needs a stable base (probably more stable than John and Yannis
can provide, as they understandably need to experiment with features as
they push Omega further in the direction they want to go) and even if
Omega was completely stable, one would have to consider whether it is
time to try to move the majority of latex users off tex-the-program.
I suspect that that time has _not_ yet come. I think it will come,
and a unicode-omega-etex-pdftex-xml successor to tex will emerge but
until it does, the LaTeX distribution needs to take a cautious approach.
Individuals (including latex maintainers:-) can experiment with various
TeX extensions and see if the features offered work for them, but LaTeX
can not swap and change at will, making the change will take a lot of
careful documentation and persuasion of the user base. If we jump too
soon and land on the wrong boat, we'll sink.

David