From:
Roozbeh Pournader <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 1 Feb 2003 20:27:58 +0330
On Sat, 1 Feb 2003, Frank Mittelbach wrote:

> which "some" editor is that?

Honestly, I don't know an editor supporting this intentionally, but a sane
text editor that is just using a font supplied by Adobe as the default
font will just pass the code to the font and get the glyph back. It will
support Adobe Private Use Area without knowing by just playing according
to the Unicode rules (using Unicode codepoints internally, leaving intact
the things that it doesn't know about, ...).

> that's not the way it works in TeX, is it? at the time input encoding is
> translated to LICR we are before the decision for "text" or "math".  the
> naming conventions for the LICR objects are a bit dubious here as they often
> say "\text..." but that is the major goal for them, ie make the LICR objects
> work in text and with different font encodings. [...]

Sorry Frank, I don't understand the LaTeX internals completely, so
although I'm trying my best to understand your description, I can't
suggest any good solution.

> the only common usage in LaTeX (i think) is as a bullet for some itemize level

Then this *is* the Unicode character U+2217 used as a bullet...

(AMS has also got something called LOW ASTERSIK encoded in Unicode 3.2,
but I really don't know about the usage, as I could not find much
information about it in the original proposal. But the glyph used for that
in the charts appears too lower than a math asterisk. Barbara?)

roozbeh