From:
Lars Hellström <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 15 Feb 2001 16:36:27 +0100
At 16.05 +0100 2001-02-15, Hans Aberg wrote:
>At 12:41 +0000 2001/02/15, Robin Fairbairns wrote:
>>you (as always) are dragging irrelevancies into the discussion, and
>>adding nothing whatever to the discussion of the development of latex.
>
>Who has said it would bring anything to LaTeX? :-)

You have (even though only implicitly), by posting to this list. If you
send the command "info LATEX-L" to the LISTSERV server, it will (amongst
many other things) tell you that

*  The purpose of this list is to discuss the development of the
*  successor to LaTeX version 2e.

>-- My guess is that LaTeX is written to assume the one that ports TeX to
>the local OS does a local translation of line separators

You really haven't ever bothered to read the sources (or even The TeXbook),
have you? (No, don't answer. It's a rhetorical question.) It's not an
assumption of LaTeX, it's an assumption of TeX, and it's not just the line
separators (although they are given special treatment), it's _all_
characters.

Lars Hellström