From:
Robin Fairbairns <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 24 Mar 2009 13:38:20 +0000
Manuel Pégourié-Gonnard <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Elie Roux a écrit :
> > In the future LuaTeX will probably replace pdfTeX, so inputenc will load
> > luainputenc. The question is not really to decide if it's good or not,
>
> Hmm...
>
> > it's to decide when we will do it. And I still can't really see why we
> > should wait three more years...
>
> I don't mean waiting for three years. I just mean waiting enough to be able to
> tidy up problems. Probably one year will be enough. Be a few months (current
> time of luainputenc development/testing, iirc) are probably not enough.

i see no problem whatever with elie working on blue-sky developments.
a multi-engine inputenc-like package seems to me a fine way forward
(though for the time being i wouldn't call it inputenc, but put an "x"
in the name somewhere to designate an extension).

if elie's code is well enough documented, one might even hope that a
possible foundation for future development is being laid down.  but even
something little better than a straw man has the potential to move our
thinking forward.

and of course, if luatex changes under elie's feet, and a chunk of his
code becomes irrelevant/broken, elie is unlikely to be surprised, since
every time anyone mentions luatex they tend to bracket it with
disclaimers about the likelihood of the sky falling (by toutatis).

perhaps we should have a separate list for elie's work: people who feel
the need to point out that today's code may become tomorrow's bugfest
... simply don't have to join the list.

robin