Sender:
From:
Robin Fairbairns <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 31 Aug 2001 22:25:54 +0100
> At 11:49 +0100 2001/08/31, Robin Fairbairns wrote:
> >> No: If I have a main file, then \include and \includeonly controls what
> >> should be in the main document. By my system, I may have a main document
> >> which is not altered while I write on additions:
> >
> >sigh.  all this stuff is covered in immensely many faqs -- did you
> >ever try looking?
>
> Really. So let us know how the planned LaTeX3 version will look like.

can't.  the team and other contributors are in the process of building
components that may be usable in constructing a future version of
latex.

> >i do something similar to what you seem to want using includex (in
> >macros/latex/contrib/supported/frankenstein/unsupported on ctan), but
> >you really might try reading
> >
> >  http://www.tex.ac.uk/cgi-bin/texfaq2html?label=conditional+multidoc
> >
> >2 answers, either of which offers tools that could be coerced to
> >provide the sort of thing you want.
>
> The FAQ you quote says:
>   includex enables you to '\includedoc' complete articles (in the way that
> you '\include' chapter files in an ordinary report). It doesn't do the
> whole job for you, though. You need to analyse the package use of the
> individual papers, and ensure that a consistent set is loaded in the
> preamble of the main report.
>
> So evidently, it does not do the trick.

not for what the faq is talking about.  i thought it might provoke
some lateral thought on your part, but plainly i was fantasising.

you seemed to want something you could use now, so i thought i'ld
offer something to help (since i'd been there myself).  sorry to
disappoint...

> Have you decided to keep the preamble style for LaTeX3, or is it not
> possible to remove it?

i haven't _decided_ anything about latex3.  many people have made many
proposals that look pretty good to me.  but i have to admit i've yet
to encounter a markup language which does away with any declaration of
details of markup to be used ... it's sort of difficult.