Sender:
From:
"William F. Hammond" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 9 Dec 2001 13:11:45 -0500
"Paulo J. Matos aka PDestroy" <[log in to unmask]> writes:

> Has anyone any idea how can I do the following without any
> errors, or at least get the same result using any other approach?
>
> \footnote{foo \verb|bar| foo}
>
> \section{foo \verb|bar| foo}

The problem is that \verb may not be used inside the argument of a
command (as explained in Lamport's book).  Instead one may use
\texttt{}, taking care to refer to special characters by their
symbolic names, i.e., names like \textgreater, \textasciitilde, ...
(Complication: the results obtained for some of the named special
characters depend on the font encoding used.  Unfortunately, it seems
that many of us are stuck with the default OT1 until there is a
greater supply of scalable fonts under a suitable public license.)

Please note, however, that this question (and its reply) are off topic
for this list dedicated to the future development of LaTeX.
The newsgroup comp.text.tex would be a better place for this.

                                    -- Bill