From:
William F Hammond <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 1 Jul 2002 09:33:27 -0400
Timothy Murphy <[log in to unmask]> writes:

> (1) TeX/LaTeX might to advantage adopt XML in several places,
> eg in font descriptions,
> and also here in package documentation -- something like

The electronic data interchange side of XML (EDI) is useful
because of the many tool-writing frameworks available.

In the case of package descriptions, however, Graham Williams
TeX Catalogue is an existing example although one should review
its structure for the maintenance issue.

See ctan:help/Catalogue/catalogue.dtd, which is only 102 lines
of text.

Or a short example in gellmu markup that is syntactically isomorphic
to the XML form of the catalogue entry, which I just happen to have
nearby :-) , might also get the idea across:

-----
\begin{entry}[
  id="gellmu"
  datestamp="2001/07/30"
  modifier="[log in to unmask]"
]
\begin{about}
\name{gellmu}
\caption{LaTeX-like markup for writing XML documents}
\author{\name{William F. Hammond}\[log in to unmask]
\home{http://www.albany.edu/~hammond/gellmu/}
\license[type="gpl"];
\version{\number{0.7.4}\released{2001/07/26}}
\end{about}
\begin{description}
\begin{abstract}
GELLMU is an acronym for "Generalized Extensible LaTeX-Like MarkUp".
With GELLMU one may use LaTeX-like markup to write consciously for
SGML document types such as HTML, DocBook, TEI, or GELLMU's own
didactic LaTeX-like article.  This package provides didactic
translators for its articles to both HTML and regular LaTeX.  (It does
not provide conversion of LaTeX itself to other formats.)  This is the
alpha release.
\end{abstract}
\end{description}
\distribution{\ctan{support/gellmu}}
\end{entry}
-----

                                    -- Bill

P.S.  I'm not sure when there will be an update for gellmu, but it's
getting late for bug reports or suggestions from those wanting new
things in it.