From:
Javier Bezos <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 11 Jul 2002 10:51:11 +0200
> fact is that latex software can, has
> successfully done so (via LPPL) and through this process has resolved a very
> difficult situation with a lot of incompatibilities within the language
> definition.

And this is the point which these people don't seem to realize:
**every LaTeX user is potentially a developer**. Unlike, say,
Python, people have free access to the LaTeX kernel and can
modify it freely **and easily** without compilers or any other
"barrier" -- Python can be modified only if you know C, but
LaTeX can be modified simply if you know LaTeX (and maybe TeX).
More importantly, most users are not concerned at all with
standarization or licenses and what they want is a system
whose behaviour is both predictable and "modifiable"
(and even if illegal, many people is modifying the packages
[as developers] because that's the simplest way to make a
little change [as users]; if that's made legal, I don't know
what could happen).

Javier