Sender:
Date:
Tue, 11 Mar 2003 23:41:09 -0800
From:
Donald Arseneau <[log in to unmask]>
Frank Mittelbach <[log in to unmask]> writes:

> give 20pt not 18pt as i claimed. and it is still not clear for the user what
> value to use in \vspace to get say 2pt more space without knowing the actual
> values in the \addvspace commands that have been used internally.

I've looked at \addvspace in the past, but haven't had the time
to look at it during this thread.  The matter of inserting
\vspace in between two \addvspace has been discussed before;
I just don't recall where.

I think it is quite consistent that \vspace interrupts the
merging of \addvspace, just like everything else does, including
the (in)famous color commands.

>  > The purpose of this is that, in LaTeX, _only_ those spaces
>  > added by \addvspace should interact (and with \addpenalty);
>  > all other spaces are irrelevant.
>
> since an extra space via \vspace is fairly "relevant"

That's just the way they've always been, and it is the original
intent.  Consecutive \addvspace will merge; \vspace add.  Yes it
is a misnomer.

(Don't read this as disagreeing with anything stated; I'm just
throwing out some thoughts.)

Donald Arseneau                          [log in to unmask]