Sender:
From:
Phillip Helbig <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 5 Dec 1997 13:43:27 GMT
>  > For *one* paper, the way described by P.H. above works well. I suppose
>  > that the main problem is that in most journals there are several
>  > papers, so, if each of them has no clashes with latex2e and the
>  > journal styles, there is also the problem of clashes *between* the
>  > papers.
>  >
> to be honest, it never occured to me to think about macro name
> clashes; that seems to be the least of the problems. i guess most of
> us work an article at a time anyway.

I had been thinking about individual papers as well, and I don't know to
what extent this is a problem.  In any case, the variants on
\providecommand discussed a while back (in this case if undefined,
define, if defined, override) could solve this problem easily.

> the problem is that few typesetters use LaTeX; so the markup has to be
> converted to some other system (in our case, via SGML). converting
> LaTeX is hard, and hard-pressed workers adopt simplistic
> search-and-replace methods. obviously these fail if there are cutesy
> author-defined macros which affect the whole paper

It seems to me that it is much better for a few people to work hard at
LaTeX to HTML conversion, or whatever is required, rather than making
each author of each paper do a lot of unnecessary work.

--
Phillip Helbig                          Email .......... [log in to unmask]
Nuffield Radio Astronomy Laboratories   Tel. ..... +44 1477 571 321 (ext. 297)

My opinions are not necessarily those of NRAL or the University of Manchester.