Sender: Mailing list for the LaTeX3 project <[log in to unmask]>
From: Frank Mittelbach <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Wed, 16 Apr 1997 22:14:14 +0200
 > >>   So I do not think this is a minor issue, when it comes down to TeX; this
 > >> is in fact something that really makes TeX typesetting.
 > >
 > >It *is* a minor issue by comparison with the matching-fonts issue,
 > >IMO.
 >
 >   So is the suggestion that the LaTeX3 project should start use rescaled
 > fonts, just because everybody else is doing so, or in favour of a fonts
 > matching issue, or because the Springer typesetting is appaling in some
 > other respects?

pardon me but this type of discussion is filling my mailbox and makes
it difficult for me to follow or even find important arguments.

 a) the question of optically designed fonts is important for
    typography (although only in parts) but TeX can do it and LaTeX
    already has an interface to address it transparently and so it is
    a non-issue

 b) the latex project does not "use" fonts it provides for their use
    and scaled fonts might well be superior than optical fonts for certain
    documents (because of the quality of the font or its face or ...)

 c) if it would be something that TeX can't do (such as optical
    alignment or many other things --- see for example that E-TeX
    Guidelines article TUB) then tough --- as far as the LaTeX project
    is concerned as long as there isn't a used successor for TeX that
    does provide it then unfortunately that is the end of the story
    and a LaTeX successor will not provide it either