From:
Chris Rowley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 18 Jun 1997 14:29:37 +0200
Sebastian Rahtz wrote --

So, it was funded by research money. Thats not what *I* mean by
> `sponsorship'. I was referring to people putting money into work
> because they want to use the result. People like the NSF didnt give
> Knuth cash because they wanted to use TeX....

Agreed: but they are putting megabucks into the xxx archives
essentially "because authors want to use TeX and avoid publishers
(sepecially Elsevier:-)".

> Did the AMS pay for any of TeX?

Yes: I do not know any details about who payed for what; I guess
barbara beeton is the "honorary official historian"?

chris