From:
Hans Aberg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 2 Dec 1998 12:58:12 +0100
At 11:23 +0000 1998/12/02, Robin Fairbairns wrote:
>> I think the use of TeX is expanding: It is not only the standard in math,
>> but also pretty much at the XXX archive, and in many quarters of computer
>> science.
>
>i see no actual sign that use of tex is expanding.  i even see
>students around here using word for theoretical computer science
>(which is maths that somehow doesn't want to speak its name ;-)...

I guess you only see what is expanding the fastest. (I do not see that
students have a great need for TeX either -- did they ever have that in the
past?) Nevertheless, I do not see that those uses of TeX will be replaced
very quickly by something *ML that cannot do the job.

>> The *ML movements are currently pretty orthogonal to what TeX can offer:
>> The *ML offer fast, simple typesetting, suitable for WWW and simpler types
>> of printing.
>
>you're trolling, aren't you?  you're trying to cause apoplexy in
>sebastian, i can tell...

He is causing apoplexy within himself most of the time, I think, if that's
what you mean. :-)

Otherwise, it must be those claiming that a *ML system has the capacity of
providing advanced typesetting which does not have the capacity of
conveniently providing the authoring and typesetting that TeX has, must be
those that are trolling.

  Hans Aberg
                  * Email: Hans Aberg <mailto:[log in to unmask]>
                  * Home Page: <http://www.matematik.su.se/~haberg/>