From:
Lars Hellström <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 3 Mar 2003 15:51:38 +0100
At 15.01 +0100 2003-03-03, Ulrich Dirr wrote:
>And curiously in the resulting output the next line of text is offset by
>~0.4mm. When putting some \vspace command before the next line of text
>to compensate for this -- which is not what I want because I then have
>to do this very often and by hand -- I got the irritating behavior that
>this text line "oscillates" above and below the baseline when I'm
>changing the amount of vspace only a bit ...

This needs not be related, but it sometimes leads to similar problems, and
I haven't seen an explanation anywhere: why is \addvspace discontinuous? If
  SKIP < \lastskip < 0
then the net effect of \addvspace{SKIP} is to do nothing, but if
  SKIP < 0 <= \lastskip
then the net effect of \addvspace{SKIP} is that SKIP is added to the
current vertical list (thus moving everything up).

Lars Hellström