Ulrik Vieth <[log in to unmask]>
Wed, 25 Jun 1997 20:35:13 +0200
> Bernard GAULLE wrote --
>> seems to be widely admited: 20 000 000 of LaTeX users worldwile
>> and  30 000 000 of Word users.

> !!!! That's a medium sized country all typing away !!!!

> Are there enough computers for them all?

Well, the last Internet host count statistics from January 1997
suggested a number of some 16 million hosts connected to the Net.
If you allow for n times that number of computers not connected,
that would easily fit even for a small single-digit number n.
In addition to that there may also more than one user per host.
For instance, on the main server carrying all the student accounts
in our computing center I find 2000+ entires in the passwd file.

Just some observations.

Cheers, Ulrik.