From:
Achim Blumensath <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 5 Jan 2001 09:33:59 +0100
Hello,

On Thu, 4 Jan 2001, Lars Hellström wrote:

> >> Looks nice. [NB: I haven't got the page with me right now, so I might
> >> remember some of the following incorrectly. Anyway:] I especially like the
> >> golden ratio template, but shouldn't one determine the text height from the
> >> width rather than the other way around?
> >
> >Well, I don't know what is more natural in practice, but since the height
> >should be a multiple of \baselineskip while there are no restrictions on
> >the width (except for an upper bound) I chose this direction.
>
> The reason you should determine the text width first is that the width of a
> line is very important for how easy a text is to read: if the line is too
> long then it is hard to find the beginning of the next line. For many of
> the common paper formats (e.g. A4) it is more often this than the
> \paperwidth that is the bound you need to consider.

That's what I meant with `upper bound'. On the other hand, it doesn't
matter much whether the text width is, say, 340pt or 345pt. Perhaps the
ideal order would be, given a maximal value for the text width and the
ratio height/width:

  text-height = (ratio * max-text-width) rounded to multiples of
                baseline-skip

  text-width = text-height / ratio

> >> The main unresolved problem (which probably should be handled in connection
> >> to the page layout) is however how the text height and main galley height
> >> should be related (I have written about that before), but I you would need
> >> support from the output routine to sort that one out.

I think it should be optional whether page heads and foots contribute to
the dimensions of the textblock. But in all cases the typesetting of the
textblock should be done without them. Perhaps one could simply include
two attributes head-height and foot-height and change the above formulae

  text-height = round (ratio * max-text-width - head-height - foot-height)

  text-width  = (text-height + head-height + foot-height) / ratio

> One interesting advantage of putting the page head and foot logically
> inside the text rectangle is that one can (to some extent) ensure the main
> galley height satsifies the multiple-of-\baselineskip restriction by
> modifying the \headsep and \footsep. In most designs there is probably a
> range of acceptable values available.

I don't think this is a good idea since it would result in the textblock
having different positions/sizes on each page.

Achim
   Achim Blumensath                                          \O/ \___/\ |
   Mathematische Grundlagen der Informatik                   =o=  \ /\ \|
   www-mgi.informatik.rwth-aachen.de/~blume                  /"\   o----|