From:
Werner LEMBERG <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 23 Mar 2004 00:36:01 +0100
Responding to an oooold email...

From: Dominique Unruh <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re: [latexuni] latin-t5 & letter i
Date: Tue, 3 Sep 2002 00:19:14 +0200

> [log in to unmask] wrote:
> > I am using latexuni in Vietnamese (latin-t5). I found errors with
> > letter i.  Accent, grave, tilde combining with letter i do not
> > produce correct symbols.  I found "tilde combining with i" use
> > macro "\~\i" while it should be "\~i".

The current version of t5enc.def (as in the TeXLive repository) gives
this:

  \'i  -> í
  \'\i -> í
  \`i  -> ì
  \`\i -> ì
  \~i  -> Ä©
  \~\i -> Ä©
  \h i -> ỉ
  \h\i -> ỉ
  \d i -> ị
  \d\i -> ị             (*)

I consider the entry marked with (*) as an error and will probably
remove it in an upcoming revision.

> In my opinion, this is not the fault of latexuni, but of T5. The
> reason is the following: In the encodings T1, OT1, T2A, T2B, T2C,
> OT2, and T3 the macro \~\i produces the desired result, while \~i
> produces an i with dot *and* tilde.

The difference between T5 and the other T encodings regarding \~i is
justified IMHO.  I'm even going to say that the behaviour in the
non-T5 encodings is incorrect; they miss entries like

  \DeclareTextCompositeCommand{\~}{T1}{i}{\~\i}

which aren't there because `Ä©' is not used in any other language
besides Vietnamese AFAIK, so there was never a need to add them.

> BTW: [...] in \~i its seems to me, that the tilde is a little too
> near the i, it looks a little crowded.

You are talking about vnr, aren't you?  I've CCed this email to HÃ n
Thế Thà nh; he can answer this best.

    Werner