Will Robertson <[log in to unmask]>
Wed, 21 May 2014 22:11:32 +0930
On 21 May 2014, at 8:35 pm, David Carlisle <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> On 21/05/2014 11:49, Will Robertson wrote:
>>
>> On 20 May 2014, at 11:34 pm, Ulrike Fischer
>>  wrote:
>>

>>> So in my opinion the current \mathbf-etc setup in unicode-math
>>> actually did the right thing and improved the standard
>>> \math-commands.
>>>
>> I’m replying out of order, but I’m still inclined to agree with you here :)
>> The big problem was not handling \mathit properly.
>>

> or at least the problem is more apparent for italic as the differences between
> math and text setting are more glaring in that case:-)

Well, I think from the foregoing discussing (correct me if I’m wrong on this!) that we all roughly agree that a suitable OpenType math font with bold glyphs in plane 1 will still be a sensible default for \mathbf, albeit with an obvious override possible (both as a package option and at math-font-load time) when a “text” bold font is desired instead for multi-letter identifiers.

\mathit is just wrong as it currently stands.

>> It has been possible for a long time to select a text font for a math alphabet in unicode-math, but this feature was probably not documented very well.
>> If you try to select a particular unicode range such as \mathbfup and a font simply doesn’t have it (well, it only checks “A” I think), the remapping doesn’t occur and you get the ascii-range glyphs:
>>

> Yes, although I think what's needed is an explicit way to do this rather than relying on heuristics

Agreed for sure.

> for example while answering a tex.sx question I wanted to use rsfs (or euler) for script in addition or instead of
> the script in stix because well just because that's what the question asked for, and it seemed  that the easiest way
> currently is to use \mathup{\euler{A B C to disable the mathcode mapping which works but looks a bit odd.

Most certainly, this is not what we should be asking users to do.
This (arbitrary \mathXYZ alphabet support) was always in the works but time got away from me.

Cheers,
Will