Sender:
From:
Sebastian Rahtz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 12 Feb 2001 10:17:46 +0000
Frank Mittelbach writes:
 > Hans,
 >
 >  > Meta reasoning from the impression of TeX I get, developed as a series
 >  > smart, but quick features lacking true generality and depth, I surmise that
 >
 > that's a bold statement from you, given that TeX though being more than 20
 > years old has still to find a opponent program that can produce even equal
 > quality in its domain.

people keep trotting this statement out, but it is like saying that
Inuit men have the cleanest foreskins of any racial group on the
planet. it is (possibly) true, but it has no practical meaning. TeX,
per se, failed in its attempt to take over the world. Don's algorithms
can/will/do appear in future programs, unto the n'th generation, but
thats another matter.

It might amuse people to know that all but one of the major
implementations of XSL formatting objects now use the TeX hyphenation
algorithm, and hyphenation patterns. Now that's what I call Knuth's
legacy....

Sebastian