Sender:
From:
Sebastian Rahtz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 17 Jun 1997 15:13:58 +0100
 >   My guess is that one somehow needs to form a sponsored consortium, like
 > Microsoft sponsors the Unicode Consortium, but for this to work, there is
 > also needed a strategy for the different parts to cooperate. I think that

Lets be honest, can anyone think of a single bit of work in the TeX
world that has happened through serious sponsorship? Perhaps the
nearest example is Y&Y's commissioning of support for Lucida and
MathTime, which has led to eg the `bm' package. But that was very
practical and immediately needed. Its hard to see who would sponsor
what is effectively blue sky work.

Adobe have, I think, agreed to help with pdftex, but the details are
vague. On the other side of the world, I did get an indication that
Jon Bosak at Sun might find resources to make the TeX part of
formatting SGML with DSSSL work smoothly, but thats not helping LaTeX
much.

Sebastian