Sender:
From:
Phillip Helbig <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 31 Oct 1997 07:12:09 GMT
> Phillip Helbig wrote:
> > Although I guess there is no reason to REQUIRE a journal to support
> > bibliographies generated by BibTeX, it seems a sensible thing to do,
> > since in practice hand-coded \bibitems will not be perfect.  Of course,
>
> Requiring BibTeX?

Read it again---I said require a journal to SUPPORT bibliographies
generated by BibTeX, not require the USE of BibTeX.

> At least in Mathematics where the speed
> of publication and the pool of potential references for a given
> topic are relatively low, BibTeX can be quite an obstruction.

If you would rather do it by hand, go ahead.  However, with custom-bib
it is literally less work to generate a .bst file from scratch and type
the references into a .bib file than to code it by hand.  Really.  It's
that user friendly.  And if the speed of publication is slow, you're
guarded against the journal style changing on you.

> Especially in the case of several authors collaborating
> via e-mail, and each author being involved in several disjoint
> collaborations, I don't know how to efficiently use bibtex
> other than having a separate bibliography database for each paper
> (which directly contradicts the goal of bibtex...)

This is a more important point.  Since I'm catching up on old posts,
I'll wait and see if anyone has contributed any answer to this first.

> Writing a bibliography is trivial compared to every other aspect
> in writing a paper, so let's leave it that way.

I disagree.  If the basis of the paper is a conference contribution, or
a thesis etc then the bibliography can actually be the most work:(

--
Phillip Helbig                          Email ... [log in to unmask]
Nuffield Radio Astronomy Laboratories   Tel. ..... +44 1477 571 321 (ext. 297)