Sender: Mailing list for the LaTeX3 project <[log in to unmask]>
From: Sebastian Rahtz <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Wed, 18 Jun 1997 16:53:59 +0100
Chris Rowley writes:
 > For Micorosoft it would appear to be a major step towards a more
 > civilised approach to the world ... except that they maybe see it as
 > pulling Elsevier into their view of the future?
neither. it means they both want to `own' science and sell us back our
own work

 > > but the Microsoft/Elsevier/SGML
 > > bandwagon is, I would argue, rather more wide-ranging.
 >
 > But is it as useful to the research physicists?  (I have no idea.)
if their stuff gets in there, yes; Science Direct is as good or better
than xxx, isnt it?

 > In what units: are Elsevier prepared to reveal their data on such things?

well, we publish (say) 1200 journals, at (say) an average of 50
articles a year, so say 6000 articles a year? 10000? is that a lot?

sebastian