From:
Joachim Schrod <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 14 Jul 2003 19:43:21 +0200

>> > BTW, I will not write an XML parser for ant. If someone wants such a
>> > thing they have to write it themselves.
>>
>> Am I missing something here? The ways for getting XML into TeX are
>> legion, so I don't see why one of the extant solutions for TeX
>> wouldn't work for Ant.

AB> ant is not completely TeX compatible. Hence, the existing tools have to
AB> be adapted to produce ant code. But I agree that this would be the
AB> easiest way to feed XML to ant (although a bit pointless, since the
AB> output quality of TeX and ant are the same).

I agree that this would be the easiest way.

But not necessarily the most interesting. There is also the
possibility of experimenting with new innovative approaches to style
sheets, given by modular XML processors like PXP and modular
typesetting engines like ant.

AB> I made the above remark since I got the impression that the
AB> original poster thought I planned to make XML the default input
AB> format for ant.

No, I didn't want to imply that. I wrote that I'm playing with the
thought of doing this work in-house in my company. The expertise is
available since Gerd Stolpmann, PXP's author, works for me. As so
often, this depends on time availability since I don't want to take
ressources away from other Open Source projects we're doing.

Cheers,
        Joachim

Joachim Schrod                                  Email: [log in to unmask]
Roedermark, Germany

        ``How do we persuade new users that spreading fonts across the page
        like peanut butter across hot toast is not necessarily the route to
        typographic excellence?''                       -- Peter Flynn