Sender:
From:
"William F. Hammond" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 6 Sep 1999 10:29:46 -0400
Sebastian Rahtz <[log in to unmask]>
writes:

> John Palmer ([log in to unmask]) writes:
>
>  > [1] in the short and medium term it is easier to get authors to write
>  > LaTeX than to write SGML;
>
> and about a million times easier again to get them to write in Word,
> as 99% of them probably do :-}
>
>  >  and [2] if SGML is ever to have the
>  > acceptability with authors that LaTeX already has
>
> authors in an extremely limited environment

It is possible to fool ourselves into thinking that we are writing
LaTeX when we are really writing SGML.

The notion of "document class" that J\"org proposes could be essentially
an SGML language (formally "application") disguised as LaTeX.  (But I
do not know if that is what he has in mind.)

>  >  publishers will
>  > need to agree on a common DTD;
> Docbook and TEI not good enough?

Is the dockbook model for "author" adequate?  Some things like this
may be both more and less than what we would want.

Do either provide enough hooks for math?

William F. Hammond                   Dept. of Mathematics & Statistics
518-442-4625                                  The University at Albany
[log in to unmask]                      Albany, NY 12222 (U.S.A.)
http://math.albany.edu:8000/~hammond/          Dept. FAX: 518-442-4731

Never trust an SGML/XML vendor whose web page is not valid HTML.
And always support affirmative action on behalf of the finite places.