Date: Fri, 1 Dec 2006 11:22:44 -0500
From: William Adams <[log in to unmask]>
Sender: Mailing list for the LaTeX3 project <[log in to unmask]>
On Dec 1, 2006, at 10:24 AM, J.Fine wrote:

> In web pages, CSS is commonly used for 'font selection'
> and if required the endcoding can be Unicode.

> I'd find it helpful to know to what degree CSS and
> Unicode would solve font selection problems for
> printed pages.

Well, Unicode as implemented in XeTeX (and other TeX-variants) is
solved for most problems.

CSS font selection is pretty primitive --- the only thing it adds
AFAICT would be ``Generic font families'' (which map nicely to
<foo>default) adding ``cursive'' and ``fantasy''.

> Excluding mathematics, of course.  That has its
> own issues.
>
> I'm expecting a relatively short list of things
> that can't be done, or done only with difficulty.

Things which CSS font selection doesn't encompass:

width
optical size (as opposed to physical --- I left this out of my list)
font features such as swash and contextual ligatures
numberstyles

They do have a nice numbering scheme for weight though (100--900)
which could be adapted --- there's no reason this couldn't be a
superset of CSS --- that's a very good idea and also use the
numbering scheme for widths.

William

--
William Adams
senior graphic designer

This email message and any files transmitted with it contain information
which is confidential and intended only for the addressee(s). If you are
not the intended recipient(s), any usage,  dissemination, disclosure, or
action taken in  reliance on it is prohibited.  The reliability of  this
method of communication cannot be guaranteed.  Email can be intercepted,
corrupted, delayed, incompletely transmitted, virus-laden,  or otherwise
affected during transmission. Reasonable steps have been taken to reduce
the risk of viruses, but we cannot accept liability for damage sustained
as a result of this message. If you have received this message in error,
please immediately delete it and all copies of it and notify the sender.