From:
Uwe Lück <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 5 Apr 2005 00:50:16 +0200
At 22:01 01.04.05, David Kastrup wrote:

>Standard mistake.  When redefining hook token registers, you need
>_two_ extra control sequences, not one.  Something like
>
>\let\my@@output\output
>\newtoks\output
>\let\my@output\output
>\output\expandafter{\the\my@@output}
>
>\my@@output{whatever stuff I want and need
>   \the\my@output for recursing to the original}
>
>If you use \the\output for recursing instead of \the\my@output, then
>multiple packages doing the same trick will conflict, and not properly
>daisy-chain.

"mistake" depends on intentions -- lineno.sty just aimed at
compatibility with multicol.sty or with packages just filling
\output in their own way. But, thanks, I adopt the proposal,
it fits *my* intentions. Indeed, the "conflict" with a package
loaded later would be: the second package would fill its own
output routine into a token register that would never be read,
so it couldn't change the output routine at all. (I needed
some days to understand this.)

The new version v0.2 (attached), however, replaces
\my@@output with \@tempa -- discussed in noreins.sty.
So there is hardly an additional control sequence.

v0.1 had further flaws, two of them producing error
messages (sorry). I had no test file -- now I have (attached),
so news: noreins.sty v0.2 has been tested.

-- Uwe Lueck.